Porsmouth v Lymington – Royal London Cup

Lymington 155 for 9 in 45 overs
Portsmouth 133 all out in 41.4 overs

This was a home draw for Lymington but as the Football Club still have use of the Sports Ground, the match had to be played away to Portsmouth CC at the lovely seaside ground in St Helens, Southsea. Portsmouth CC had done well to get the match on due to the recent heavy rains. The toss was potentially crucial and the home side won it and chose to bowl hoping to make batting difficult on a slow damp wicket.

The Lymington openers Cameron Grierson (9) and captain Simon Beetham (33) started cautiously before the former was out injudiciously leaving a ball that bowled him. Southampton University student Ollie Calcott (19) batted well until he chose to try and force the pace and was lbw. Conor Moors (6) was bowled trying to force the pace and newcomer Chris Blake (9), who is trialling with Northampton CCC in a few weeks, was unfortunately run out in a mix up. Simon Beetham (33) was trapped in front to a ball that kept low and Kieran Moors (17) after striking a few excellent boundaries, was out caught trying another one. Adam Beetham (2) was also trapped in front and Lymington were struggling at 120 for 7 at this stage. A late revival by former Redlynch and Hayle newcomer Glenn Willoughby (20) and Hampshire Over 50’s player Neil Trestrail (12) plus late contributions by Hampshire Under 15’s player Cameron Robertson (9 not out) including an impressive boundary and forever young Ed Freeman (2 not out), took the final Lymington score to 155 for 9 off 45 overs. Ironically the final ball was a no ball so there was “ a free hit” and Freeman was stumped attempting a big hit but of course it did not count as a wicket because it was a “free hit” and therefore not out.

In reply the Lymington opening bowlers were Ed Freeman (9 overs 4 maidens 3 wickets for 16 runs) and Kieran Moors (9 overs 2 for 37) who both bowled well and they had Portsmouth on the back foot taking a couple of wickets and bowling economically. The introduction of Ollie Calcott (9 overs 1 for 22) produced another wicket and Simon Beetham (7 overs 1 for 22) picked up another putting Portsmouth under pressure and when Kieran Moors came back and bowled Vikram Dawson (31) Lymington were on top.  Hampshire Cricket Board Manager Simon Jones (16 not out) led a late revival but Portsmouth were finally all out for 131 in the 42nd over with Lymington winning by 22 runs.

In the next round Lymington are drawn away in the Royal Victoria National Club KO to Bournemouth CC of the British Gas Southern Premier League Division 1 at Chapelgate on Sunday 8th May.

Next week Saturday 7th May Lymington CC travel to Bashley CC for a local derby in the first match of the newly sponsored British Gas Southern Premier Cricket League Premier Division season and the match is a 50 overs a side format.

Recent Posts